Facts have been “twisted and misrepresented” in some social media posts which suggested that indigenously developed Covaxin contains newborn calf serum, the Union health ministry said in a statement on Wednesday. Newborn calf serum is used only for the preparation and growth of vero cells. Serum from bovine and other animal are standard enrichment ingredient used globally for vero cell growth, it said. Vero cells are used to establish cell lives which help in the production of vaccines. This technique has been used for decades in developing vaccines against polio, rabies, and influenza. After growth, the vero cells are washed in water and with chemicals, also technically known as buffer, multiple times to make them free from newborn calf serum. The vero cells are then infected with coronavirus for viral growth, the health ministry said. The vero cells are completely destroyed in the process of viral growth. Thereafter, the grown virus is also killed (inactivated) and purified, it said. The killed or inactivated virus is then used to make the final vaccine. No calf serum is used in the formulation of the final vaccine, according to the statement. “Hence, the final vaccine (Covaxin) does not contain newborn calf serum at… Read full this story
- Coronavirus vaccine update: Bharat Biotech to launch Covaxin in second quarter of 2021
- Covid Speed Read: Loan moratorium to cost govt Rs 7,500 cr; Bharat Biotech & Oxford vaccine enter final lap of testing
- Govt's plan to enter e-retail still in limbo
- Andhra Pradesh: Govt to go ahead with DBT for farmers despite oppn criticism
- Nine Global Pharma Majors Pledge Not to Rush Through Vaccines for COVID-19
- 74 Simple Health Tips: You Might Not Be Knowing About Number 67
- Covid Speed Read: FinMin promises to pay GST dues; Russia releases first batch of Covid-19 vaccine for public
- 'I will NOT back down': Boris Johnson defies EU fury at threat to 'tear up' Brexit divorce terms on Northern Ireland after Michel Barnier warns it would mean NO trade deal - but PM says that would still be a 'good outcome' for the UK
- Covid Speed Read: Unlock 5.0 guidelines extended till Nov 30; RBI says Covid to erode 3 yrs of states' fiscal consolidation gains
- Coronavirus: Who would get the vaccine first?
- Footfall on UK's High Streets drops by 3% in a week with visitor numbers down by 41.3% as local lockdown restrictions deal new hammer blow to recovering retailers
- Scientists, drugmakers and traders react to AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine trial pause
Does Covaxin production involve calf serum? Govt clarifies have 397 words, post on www.rediff.com at June 16, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.