Ronald de Boer first helped Qatar win the right to host the 2022 World Cup, and now he’s calling for the tournament to be moved to winter. The former Netherlands midfielder, who still works for Qatar as a football advisor, appealed to the desert nation’s leadership to heed UEFA President Michel Platini’s request that the tournament is not staged in the sweltering summer heat. De Boer spoke at the Leaders in Football conference, but said he made his views clear to Qatar’s bid team ahead of the surprise victory in the 2010 vote. ”We went for the summer of course … but you have a lot of people doubting that and you look for other possibilities,” De Boer said. ”And I said already from the start, `Why not (the winter)?”’ Platini, who could be FIFA president from 2015, is willing to reschedule Europe’s football calendar to allow the World Cup to be played in the winter. ”I think it’s great what Platini did to come forward out and say what he thought,” De Boer said. ”And now everyone’s talking about it. So it’s the first step … I said sometimes to the (Qatari) Supreme Committee, `I would do it in… Read full this story
- CONCACAF to change World Cup qualifying schedule
- ICC World Cup 2019: World Cup hopes all over for South Africa after heavy Lord's defeat to Pakistan
- Qatari organisers hoping more Indian eyeballs during 2022 FIFA World Cup than 2018 edition
- Lost in translation? World Cup has arrived in Japan but don’t tell everybody
- ICC World Cup 2019: Full list of awards, prize money and statistics
- ICC World Cup 2019: Pakistan's performance has an eerie similarity with Imran Khan's 1992 campaign
- US Women's National Team stars on equal pay: To win that fight is bigger than World Cup victory
- Women's T20 World Cup: Kaur underlines IND's biggest strength ahead of tournament opener
- Mikaela Shiffrin sets target return to Alpine skiing World Cup
- Eoin Morgan calls for new dynamic as England begin to adapt for 2023 World Cup
- Liam Plunkett: England World Cup winner focusing on Surrey for now
- England overloaded with T20 options with World Cup on the horizon but what is their best XI?
De Boer hopes for winter World Cup have 353 words, post on www.foxsports.com at October 10, 2012. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.