Lleyton Hewitt and Sam Groth were Australia’s Davis Cup heroes after the pair stepped into the singles breach to guide the hosts to a 3-2 victory over Kazakhstan in their World Cup quarter-final in Darwin. Hewitt secured victory after being drafted in to replace Thanasi Kokkinakis in the fifth and final match of the weekend, posting a 7-6 (6-2), 6-2, 6-3 win over world No115 Aleksandr Nedovyesov in front of a raucous crowd. Earlier Groth, replacing the dropped Nick Kyrgios, had kept alive Australian hopes with a rousing 6-3, 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 7-6 (8-6) win over Mikhail Kukushkin to bring the tie back on level terms at 2-2. Both Kyrgios and Kokkinakis had lost the opening singles rubbers on Friday, before Groth and Hewitt teamed up in Saturday’s doubles to get finally Australia on the board. The quartet’s performances over the first two days prompted the team captain, Wally Masur, to ring the changes and go with experience over talented youth on Sunday, a brave decision that paid off in spades as first Groth and then Hewitt registered famous wins to take Australia into a semi-final against either Great Britain or France. “I love the back-against-the-wall situation. That’s what we… Read full this story
- This 84-Shot Rally At The Davis Cup Is Tennis Hell
- U.S. nets Davis Cup title
- BLAKE & ANDY ANSWER WHEN DAVIS CUP CALLS
- Spain beats Czech Republic in doubles to clinch Davis Cup win
- Andy Roddick sends U.S. to Davis Cup final, & final to U.S.
- Davis Cup turns back clock
- Andy Roddick, James Blake deserve credit for U.S. winning Davis Cup
- James Blake, Andy Roddick bring U.S. close to Davis Cup championship
- U.S. Open Insider: Patrick McEnroe resigns as Davis Cup captain; Federer triumphs
- James Blake left off U.S. Davis Cup roster against Spain
- Davis Cup could use a refill
- Four-time Grand Slam champ Jim Courier to replace Patrick McEnroe as captain of U.S. Davis Cup team
Davis Cup: Groth and Hewitt lead Australia to victory with Kyrgios dropped have 336 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 19, 2015. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.