COVID-19 may eventually become a seasonal illness like the flu, but only when the population achieves herd immunity, meaning a sufficient number of people are immune to prevent constant spread, a new study suggests.But until then, COVID-19 will likely spread year-round, a finding that highlights the importance of following public health measures to control the virus, according to the review, published Tuesday (Sept. 15) in the journal Frontiers in Public Health.”COVID-19 is here to stay and it will continue to cause outbreaks year-round until herd immunity is achieved,” study senior author Hassan Zaraket, of the American University of Beirut in Lebanon, said in a statement. “Therefore, the public will need to learn to live with it and continue practicing the best prevention measures, including wearing of masks, physical distancing, hand hygiene and avoidance of gatherings.”Related: 14 coronavirus myths busted by scienceWhat makes a virus seasonal? Many viruses seem to follow seasonal patterns — for example, in temperate regions, cases of the flu regularly peak in winter and dwindle during the summer months. The same is true for certain types of coronaviruses that cause the common cold. Scientists don’t know for sure why these viruses follow a seasonal pattern, but a number of… Read full this story
- Covid-19: How virus weighs on businesses?
- Australia Demands Transparency from China in Proposed Global COVID-19 Review
- Chinese Lab with Checkered Safety Record Draws Scrutiny over COVID-19
- Can pre-symptomatic COVID 19 be an economic warfare tool?
- Director of Wuhan Laboratory Dismisses Claims COVID-19 Originated There
- Trump Says Disinfectant Suggestion for COVID-19 Was 'Sarcastic'
- Trump's Suggestion to Use Disinfectants for COVID-19 Alarms Experts
- LabCorp to Expand Availability of Antibody Tests for COVID-19
- War-Ravaged Yemen 'Running out of Time' on COVID-19
- Zimbabwe Marks Independence Anniversary Amid COVID-19 Lockdown
- Trump Pledges Support to Pakistan in Fight Against COVID-19
- Australia Slaps Heavy Fines on People Spitting on Workers During COVID-19 Crisis
COVID-19 may become a seasonal virus have 319 words, post on www.livescience.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.