"The universe is a pretty big place. If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space." I've been thinking lately of Carl Sagan the astrophysicist and biologist who is best known for his work on extraterrestrial life and his best-selling book for the public on astrophysics entitled "Cosmos", which was made into a 1980 Public Television series estimated to have been seen by between 500 million and 1 billion people worldwide. Why I have been thinking of Carl Sagan lately was a bit of a puzzle over the last weeks, but this weekend it all came together for me, as I will explain later, and so this editorial is inspired by Dr Sagan's life and work. Carl Sagan grew up in Brooklyn, New York, and raised by Eastern European immigrant Jewish parents. Born in 1934, he was in New York when members of his extended family in Eastern Europe died during the Holocaust. His immigrant parents could not achieve their personal career dreams , and so it was left to Carl to "fulfill the un-fulfilled dreams of his parents". I grew up in a similar post-Holocaust Jewish home, and was fully aware of the burden I accepted to… Read full this story
- US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin 'acted as point of contact' for firm run by model scout Jean-Luc Brunel who is blamed for supplying girls sexually abused by Jeffrey Epstein
- Bird flu kills teenager in Egypt: Woman, 19, is killed by H5N1 strain after coming into contact with infected birds
- Decathlon's 'contact-details' demand sparks row
- More than 780 MILLION contact lenses are discarded in Britain every year with 97% either thrown in the bin or flushed down the toilet
- Government should adopt direct contact approach in assisting farmers — AFAN
- Contact the Manawatū Standard
- A Former Trump Adviser Pleads Guilty to Lying About His Contacts With Russia
- Beware the poinsettia! Why the jolly festive plant could cause your hair to FALL OUT if you come into contact with its sap
- Apple responds to bent iPhone 6 Plus phenomenon, says only nine people have contacted them
- CREEPY: Alexa Records Couple’s Private Conversation, Sends It To Random Contact
- Top nuclear defense official quits Pentagon after making 'unwanted physical contact with women on his staff including hugging, kissing and touching'
- Marouane Fellaini still contacts Jose Mourinho regularly but is happy in China
Contact have 384 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at June 10, 2015. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.