From left: Chung Jae-won poses with an overall third-place trophy in Mokdong, western Seoul, on March 16. Chung reacts after winning the men’s mass start race at the ISU World Cup Speed Skating Final in Heerenveen in the Netherlands on March 8. [KIM SUNG-RYONG, XINHUA/YONHAP]Born on June 21, 2001, Chung Jae-won made headlines at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics by becoming the youngest Korean speed skater to win a medal at the Games. He was just 16, and the victory also earned him an exemption from serving his mandatory military service. In the team pursuit event at PyeongChang, Team Korea – which comprised of Chung, Lee Seung-hoon and Kim Min-seok – won silver. At the time, Chung was the youngest speed skater on the Korean national team after joining just five months prior to the Winter Olympics. Along with age, he also made headlines for helping his fellow teammate Lee Seung-hoon win gold in the men’s mass start race at PyeongChang. In the speed skating mass start race, where all the skaters race 16 laps at the same time, Chung set the pace for Lee so Lee could save his energy until the end to make his final spurt for… Read full this story
- Who won the Nobel Peace Prize 2018, who won in past years and what did Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad do?
- South Korean Leader Moon Jae-In Demands More North Korean Sanctions Relief
- North Korea Blasts South Korea ‘Prejudice’ as Moon Jae-in Plans Trip to Pyongyang
- Kim Jong Un, Donald Trump Asked Moon Jae-In To Mediate Denuclearization Talks
- Mayor Pete blows past O'Rourke and Castro, climbing to third place in Iowa and New Hampshire
- French 'Spiderman' Climbs Skyscraper to Thank Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-in for Peace Efforts
- Valley mayors hopeful after meeting with Newsom on high-speed rail, economic growth
- Cox calls high-speed rail an ‘important component’ of Congress’ infrastructure plans
- He was killed during an SC high-speed chase, but police weren’t chasing him
- DUI suspect led SC police on a high-speed chase — and went home the next morning
- Newsom to meet with Valley mayors after bombshell high-speed rail announcement
- Trump disavows past enthusiasm for WikiLeaks after Assange's arrest
Chung Jae-won speeds past being a pace setter have 360 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at April 3, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.