I N FINANCE there are numbers people and stories people. Quants are archetypal numbers people: they only buy securities that fit statistical criteria. Venture capitalists are stories people. They have to be. They provide finance to technology startups that may have great potential but do not—or do not yet—have the numbers to back it up. Nothing speaks of potential quite like India with its vast, young, tech-savvy population. And no venture-capital story is quite as seductive as Indian tech. A flood of foreign money is washing into India's startup scene. Flipkart, an e-commerce site, has just raised $3.6bn in a record-breaking funding round. There has been a wave of public listings this year, as fledglings take advantage of India's buoyant stockmarket to raise capital and provide an exit for their venture-capital backers. The recent initial public offering of Zomato, a food-delivery firm, was heavily oversubscribed. Paytm, a much-touted payments app, is due to list soon. This burgeoning interest in India owes a lot to the diminishing appeal of China, whose tech firms are facing a regulatory backlash. To outsiders, India seems like a younger, more freewheeling China. Look closer, though, and it does not live up to the billing. Start… Read full this story
- Venture capitalists to tech bigwigs: Mea culpa
- Good money after bad? Venture capitalists and Internet start-ups
- IBM invests effort in venture capitalists
- Venture capitalist, super angel, or just going it alone?
- Web 2.0 drives venture capitalists crazy
- Venture capitalist has a plan to unite the aisles on basic income
- Learning This One Foreign Language Can Make You More Money
- Switching gears: Making the move from tech to exec
- Make the US Small Business Administration Super Venture Capitalists!
- Venture capitalists weigh in on Office 2.0
- US slowdown hurts Indian tech recruitment
- Booming Indian tech sector expects further growth
Can foreign venture capitalists make good money from Indian tech? have 297 words, post on www.economist.com at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.