WHIRL OF COLOUR: Vũ Tuyết Nhung performs on stage. by Nguyễn Kiều Trinh What began centuries ago as a form of entertainment in the Middle East has transcended into Vietnamese life in a major way. Belly dancing may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but visitors to the Cultural Centre, Hai Bà Trưng District, in Hà Nội were treated to an afternoon of quivering hips and undulating movements that would not have looked out of place in the dance halls of Egypt circa 1800s. Around 100 performers of all ages, shapes and sizes took part in the Belly Dance Sensation Festival 2019 earlier this month. There were no áo dài here. Instead it was the traditional, and in some cases revealing, costumes of belly dancers that were donned by those taking part. It is fair to say this is not something you would expect to see on a Saturday afternoon in the capital city. Yet as a hobby, coupled with a perfect way to keep fit while enjoying yourself at the same time, belly dancing is certainly gaining popularity. “When I started to learn belly dance, my family did not encourage me because they were afraid of the revealing costume… Read full this story
- Belly dancing heats up Hanoi
- PICS: 'Dance Deewane 2' judge Madhuri Dixit ticks off belly dancing from her bucket list!
- Belly dancing takes root
- Ha Noi needs more efficient policies to develop key industrial products
- Ha Noi ensures supply of essential goods for Tet
- Binh Duong to host Ha Noi in AFC Cup ASEAN Zonal final first leg
- Dance India Dance 7: Kareena Kapoor Khan gets emotional as Bosco Martis remembers his dad; watch
- Rahul Gandhi to launch tribal dance fest tomorrow
- He has the moves: Watch Rahul Gandhi shaking a leg at the tribal dance festival
- The best dance of the 21st century
- Legendary Berlin dance hall faces uncertain future
- Christmas Day sees rain in south-east Queensland and searing heat in the west
Belly dancing heats up Hà Nội have 334 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at December 22, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.