The Australian Grand Prix has been cancelled due to coronavirus fears after a mechanic tested positive to the deadly illness. Formula 1 confirmed the cancellation of the Australian Grand Prix on Friday. ‘Following the confirmation that a member of the McLaren Racing Team has tested positive for COVID-19 and the team’s decision to withdraw from the Australian Grand Prix, Formula 1 and the FIA convened a meeting of the other nine team principals on Thursday evening,’ the statement read. ‘Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead. ‘Formula 1 and the FIA, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) have therefore taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix are cancelled.’ The announcement came after the McLaren team was forced to withdraw because of the positive COVID-19 result. Top drivers were also refusing to take part in the race due to health concerns. There was widespread confusion before the official confirmation with Australian Grand Prix boss Paul Little telling the Nine network on Friday morning the race would go ahead despite widespread media reports overnight the race wouldn’t proceed. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews also… Read full this story
- Sports news feed: Lewis Hamilton claims pole in Belgian Grand Prix
- Coronavirus latest: WHO calls for 'gradual' easing of travel restrictions
- Coronavirus in sports: 2020 Tokyo Olympics postponed to 2021; NFL draft, season updates
- Go, see Granny NOW! Vulnerable people could be told next week they will be confined to their homes as UK ramps up response to coronavirus outbreak after cases hit 164
- Coronavirus latest: Pakistan, India report record daily spike in new cases, deaths
- THOUSANDS of Brits are ignoring 14-day quarantine rules after returning from 'red' countries - amid fury at minister's refusal to consider airport tests while testing centres sit unused
- Fury at Thailand's decision to drop charges against Red Bull heir who killed cop as victim's relatives say there is 'no justice for the poor'
- Sports news feed: Lewandowski, Flick and Harder win major German football awards
- Sports news feed: August 24-30, 2020
- Friday briefing: Trump buckets Biden in sprawling speech
- The best PS4 games for September 2020
- 'I've lost £2,000 in wages - who's going to pay my mortgage?' Number 10 tells furious Brits being forced into isolation by last minute quarantine rule change for Spain to apply for BENEFITS
Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix is CANCELLED due to coronavirus fears after top drivers refused to take part when a mechanic caught the deadly illness have 385 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at March 12, 2020. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.