Mr Hawke’s wife Blanche d’Alpuget announced the tragic news in a statement last night, saying he died “peacefully at home”. One of Mr Hawke’s main political foes John Howard had a touching tribute for the former PM. “In my opinion, he is the greatest Prime Minister of Australia produced by the Labor Party,” Mr Howard said. “I’ve often acknowledged that amongst Labor occupants of that office, Hawke was the best. “He was responsible for a significant number of economic and other reforms during the time that he was Prime Minister. “He was, of course, aided in the implementation of many of those reforms by the fact that the Coalition opposition supported them, rather than for political reasons frustrated and opposed them.” John Howard speaks about Bob Hawke this morning.Source:Supplied “I speak for the broader Australian community for thanking him for his contribution to public life and the impact he made on Australian politics, and the extraordinary contribution he made to the success of the Labor Party that he led for such a very long time. “A feature of his leadership of the Labor Party was that he exercised great authority. And in the politics, the most valuable commodity that a… Read full this story
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praises Syria air strikes and warns about Iran
- Amber Rudd’s resignation letter in full and the Prime Minister’s response
- Sudan: Chadian Prime Minister
- Ethiopia to Adopt Legislation to Put Term Limits On Prime Minister Position
- Armenia looks to the future as protesters celebrate resignation of Prime Minister Serzh Sargsyan
- Armenia protests: Police detain opposition leaders and 200 protesters after president becomes prime minister
- Austria's prime minister ridiculed after aides photoshop woman with 'massive joint' out of publicity photo
- Have China-Australia ties reached a new low?
- UN issues warning over deaths of disproportionate number of black people in police custody and ‘structural racism’ in UK
- Carwyn Jones: Wales first minister to resign in autumn after 'darkest of times'
- Sean Rigg: Five Metropolitan Police officers to face gross misconduct charges over mentally ill man's death
- Trump Brings His War of Words to Australia, of All Places
Australia grieves over death of former prime minister Bob Hawke have 350 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 17, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.