Syrian government aircraft struck a busy market Thursday in a rebel-held district of Aleppo, killing at least 33 people in the latest deadly attack targeting mainly civilians in the contested city, opposition activists said. Several activists said a government helicopter dropped three crude barrel bombs that exploded in the Hillok district along a civilian-packed street lined with vegetable and meat shops. They said the attack wounded scores of people. “It was mayhem; many of the bodies are burned,” said Hasson Abu Faisal, an activist in Aleppo. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said activists affiliated with the group counted at least 33 people who were killed in Thursday’s attack, including women. The local Aleppo Media Center put the toll at 44 killed. Such discrepancies are common in the immediate aftermath of attacks. Activists said Hillok district, unlike other opposition held areas in eastern Aleppo, has rarely been hit by government airstrikes in the past six months, leading many from neighboring, less safe areas to move there. “It is a very densely populated area,” said Abu Faisal. He said some of the shops on the 1.5 kilometer — about 1-mile — long street sold gallons of fuel for electrical generators,… Read full this story
- Syrian government raises flag over cradle of 2011 revolt
- DUP MPs back Theresa May in 'nonsense' vote over Parliament role in Syrian air strikes
- Syrian government celebrated after targeting and killing Marie Colvin, defector claims
- Trump warns Syrian government of 'big price to pay' and after alleged chemical weapons attack in eastern Ghouta
- 14 killed in missile strike on Syrian air base
- Syrian government raises flag in Douma – Russian agencies
- France has proof Syrian government conducted chemical weapons attack
- Syrian Air Strikes: Russia's stance left allies no option, says Nato chief
- Syrian Air Strikes: Mission Accomplished
- Syrian Air Strikes: UN Secretary General calls for 'restraint in these dangerous circumstances'
- Syrian Air Strikes: Syrians mount a show of defiance after air strikes
- Syrian Air Strikes: France warns of further air strikes if chemical weapons used again
At least 33 killed when Syrian government strikes civilian-packed street: activists have 322 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at May 1, 2014. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.