FILE – In this Aug. 10, 2019 file photo, rescuers search for victims of a landslide triggered by Typhoon Lekima in Yongjia county in eastern China’s Zhejiang province. Several hundred people have been killed and dozens are missing following flooding across China in July and August, according to government rescue services. (Chinatopix via AP, File) lessFILE – In this Aug. 10, 2019 file photo, rescuers search for victims of a landslide triggered by Typhoon Lekima in Yongjia county in eastern China’s Zhejiang province. Several hundred people have been killed … more
BEIJING (AP) — At least 201 people have been killed and 63 are missing following flooding across China in July and August, according to government rescue services.
The most recent deaths came in mountainous western Sichuan province, where eight were killed and 23 missing as of Wednesday morning. Earlier in August, 39 were killed and nine left missing by Typhoon Lekima.
The total for July was 154 killed and 31 missing, with more than 1.3 million people forced to seek temporary shelter.
Annual floods rank among China’s most destructive natural disasters, brought on by seasonal rains and worsened by human encroachment into mountain areas and natural river systems.
China’s worst flooding in recent years came in 1998, when more than 3,700 died in floods along the Yangtze, Songhua, Pearl and Nen rivers.
Landslides have also killed dozens this year, with two killed and seven other people missing after slides hit in western Sichuan, where communications and power were cut off. Earlier this month, 17 railway workers were killed in a landslide in Sichuan province while seeking to repair tracks damaged by an earlier landslide.
- East Coast is hit with tornado and flood warnings: Nearly 1 million people in 14 states left without power as wind gusts down power lines, damage homes and cause huge delays at Newark
- China boots its top Winter Games star
- Rickshaw ride from China to London
- Japan celebrates 2011 season, not so Korea, China
- Pacquiao returns to help flood victims
- Padres should trade Bell in August
- Pacquiao comes to aid of flood victims
- GF,MGSPINTL *2080 AP-GLF–China Open Scores,0290
- Owner joins union, NFL for flood victims donation
- Waltrip Brothers’ Nashville Fundraiser Postponed Until October Due To Flood
- Owner, NFL, union donate $400,000 to flood victims
- Lance raises $125K for flood victims