This is the question posed by the website 2012apocalypse.net. “super volcanos? pestilence and disease? asteroids? comets? antichrist? global warming? nuclear war?” the site’s authors are impressively open-minded about the cause of the catastrophe that is coming at 11:11 pm on december 21 this year. but they have no doubt it will happen. after all, not only does the Mayan Long Count calendar end that day, but “the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years.” Case closed: Sell your possessions and live for today. When the sun rises on December 22, as it surely will, do not expect apologies or even a rethink. No matter how often apocalyptic predictions fail to come true, another one soon arrives. And the prophets of apocalypse always draw a following—from the 100,000 Millerites who took to the hills in 1843, awaiting the end of the world, to the thousands who believed in Harold Camping, the Christian radio broadcaster who forecast the final rapture in both 1994 and 2011. Religious zealots hardly have a monopoly on apocalyptic thinking. Consider some of the environmental cataclysms that so many experts promised were inevitable. Best-selling economist Robert… Read full this story
- Interviewing for a new job? Here's the best time to bring up salary
- Phew, we survived! And now the virals have begun: Deadline passes for Mayan apocalypse without raining fire or killer earthquakes
- Now Apocalypse
- Italy Fail To Qualify For World Cup For First Time Since 1958
- Yes, you have to send a thank you note after your interview. Here's what to say
- Har Chhath 2019: Date, Time, And Significance of Balaram Jayanti Vrat
- Your Guide to Cable, Marvel Comics' Living Embodiment of Time-Travel Nonsense
- Mayan believer stood to win £50,000 if world had ended today after placing £10 bet on the apocalypse
- Marvel's X-Men Teases a Major Apocalypse Glow-Up
- Postal Apocalypse: Why Doesn't George R.R. Martin Just Release Shorter Books?
- The Apocalypse Is Here in the First Teaser for Season 2 of Netflix's
- An Asteroid Will Pass Near Earth Next Month But No, You Don't Have to Worry
Apocalypse Not: Here's Why You Shouldn't Worry About End Times have 335 words, post on www.wired.com at August 17, 2012. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.