President Trump’s decision to cut off aid to anti-government rebels in Syria marks a victory for President Bashar Assad in his six-year civil war — as well as allies Russia and Iran — and a defeat for U.S. efforts to remove the Syrian dictator.Trump has decided to end a covert CIA program under President Barack Obama to train moderate rebels to fight Assad, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.The report comes two weeks after Trump met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Germany and after the United States and Russia announced a limited cease-fire in southeastern Syria that promised to end Syrian airstrikes on rebel-held areas there.Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said at the time that while the U.S. hopes to extend the truce to other parts of the country, U.S. policy remains that Assad and his family have ”no long-term role” as rulers in Syria.The CIA training program was approved by Obama, who called for Assad to step down because of brutal oppression by his regime.The U.S. government has accused Assad of bombing civilians and using banned chemical weapons. Trump ordered airstrikes against a Syrian military airfield in April following reports that Assad used chemical weapons against a rebel-held area that killed women and children.The program was never big enough… Read full this story
- Experts see Russia fingerprints on North Korea's new missile
- Is Kamala Harris next to go?: California Democrat on brink of exiting presidential race after firing dozens of campaign staff and dropping to three per cent in the polls
- Promoted: LMP3 racer Jack Butel eyes GT expansion for 2019
- Ford Reveals Every Detail You Could Ever Want to Know About the Euro Focus RS
- Boris Johnson's manifesto to abandon the threat of a no-deal Brexit in bid to capture the centre ground as he rules out a Leave Alliance with Nigel Farage and puts the Tories on an election collision course with the Brexit Party
- Valtteri Bottas wins Australian GP from Lewis Hamilton in dominant display as Ferrari struggle
Analysis: Trump's cutoff of aid to Syrian rebels marks victory for Assad, Russia and Iran have 336 words, post on www.usatoday.com at July 20, 2017. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.