Today, if a hundred other news stories haven’t already alerted you to this fact, is International Women’s Day. It honors, it celebrates, it congratulates all the important things women do. It also, more and more, has evolved into an annual race by every brand to find some novel way to get in on the hype. Here at WIRED Photo, we didn’t want to be one of those brands, but we also wanted to acknowledge the great work of the female photographers we’ve commissioned over the last 12 months. So we decided to let them commemorate themselves—in their own words. Understandably, they want to be recognized for their photos, not their gender, but in an industry where they’re more likely to experience sexism, less likely to be hired, and often paid less than their male counterparts, championing their contributions feels essential. “I know I’m standing on the shoulders of giants to even be able to say this, but what it means to me is to not be labeled as a female photographer, but rather a photographer,” says Dolly Faibyshev, one of the shutterbugs profiled below, all of whom provided portraits. “We don’t refer to male photographers as male, you know? That’s… Read full this story
- World Photography Day 2020: Best Travel Photographers on Instagram To Follow
- Chilling moment UK's first female suicide bomb plotter told police she was planning a Sri Lanka-style attack on St Paul's Cathedral - as she SMILES and makes 'ISIS salute' as she is jailed for 14 years
- Ella Stevens: The 13-year-old aiming to become Ferrari's first female Formula 1 driver
- Celebrity photographer's autistic son was 'suffocated with a sponge and laid down to rest next to his toys', court hears as mother charged with 10-year-old's murder appears at Old Bailey
- American Idol stars Gabby Barrett, 19, and Cade Foehner, 23, tie-the-knot after meeting on the singing show
- Maria Shriver wears a shirt reading 'the future is female' as she enjoys a walk after becoming a grandmother to baby Lyla
- Texas mom-of-two, 23, who was beaten to death and had her teeth pulled out in violent Mexico robbery 'was lured across the border by sex offender who knows her family and claimed her boyfriend had been kidnapped and held for ransom'
- Silvio Berlusconi, 83, allows himself to be photographed with new girlfriend, 30, in bid to 'get even' with ex-fiancee who was spotted kissing her female lover
- Female Redskins staffers were 'cursed at and called derogatory slurs by execs' - but new coach Ron Rivera vows to change the hostile culture as his daughter now works for the team
- Incredible sea life images from photographer dubbed 'The Whale Whisperer'
- NBA dismisses photographer who posted offensive Kamala Harris meme
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 review – appealing leads and zappy scraps, but a sense of deja vu
23 Amazing Female Photographers You Should Know have 455 words, post on www.wired.com at March 8, 2019. This is cached page on Konitono. If you want remove this page, please contact us.